Training and Health Requirements
Individuals must be approved on an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) protocol before they can enter a vivarium or have access to any of the animals.
Contact the IACUC office at [email protected] to receive detailed instructions and the associated forms for completing the tasks below.
To be added to a protocol, study personnel must:
- complete the American Association for Laboratory Animal Safety (AALAS) Learning Library courses that will be assigned to you;
- complete an online Biosafety and Bloodborne Pathogens course (users must contact an IACUC administrator for the password);
- have a physical through GW Hospital Employee Health Services (schedule an appointment); and
- undergo hands-on training through Office of Animal Research (OAR) Veterinary Services (view the schedule and sign-up).
Upon completion of these requirements the PI must submit a modification to the protocol.
Required Training and Health Forms
- Animal Handler Risk Assessment Form (PDF) (GW login required)
- GWUMC ARF Occupational Health Questionnaire (PDF) (GW login required)